Thursday, August 22, 2013

Improvements & A New Challenge

Every year, during my company's employee appreciation week, we have a health fair where we can get free health screenings.  Here are some improvements I saw from last year:

                            2012                         2013
Weight                 256                           222
BMI                     42.3                          36.9
Cholesterol          150                           176 (best below 200)
Good Cholesterol 40                             49 (best above 60)
Bad Cholesterol  n/a                             100 (best below 100)
Triglycerides       n/a                             135 (best below 50)
Glucose (non-fasting)                            83 (best below 140)

Mostly improvements, yay!

Here is what I have been up to in the past couple of weeks:

Monday: Trail Run (ouch!)
Tuesday: Yoga
Wednesday: Group bike ride
Thursday:  Hot Yoga
Friday:  Easy swim (500 free, 100 back, 500 pull, 500 kick, 100 warm down)
Saturday:  Worked at awesome conference - lots of walking
Sunday: Worked at awesome conference & childcare at the church

Monday:  Road run
Tuesday: Yoga
Wednesday: Group bike ride
Thursday (today) rest:
Friday: planned short walk
Saturday:  Second tri!

Oh yeah!  Sort of peer pressured into it!  Some of my teammates are doing a relay at a tri and I thought - what the heck, why not?  I haven't done very much swimming or running or any brick workouts in these past 2 weeks, so that makes me a little nervous.  However, this one is 500 yard swim, 10 mi bike, 3 mi run.  So longer swim and shorter bike than my first tri!

It is also an all women tri.  I hear this one is pretty big.  In the last one, I parked 20 yards from transition, so that should tell you that was pretty small.  this one, I have to park 1/2 mile from transition.  Should be entertaining!

Also, they are starting a biking program at work and I'm really excited about it!  It is through a local bike shop that runs 6 week corporate programs, but some of my co-workers are definitely thinking beyond that.  We are setting up multiple rides each week.  I'll be excited to bike more and get to know people from my workplace at all/better.

Last, but not least, here are a few pics from the my first triathlon that I forgot to include, and some yummy food pics (my fave!).

I had my nails done to match my bike!

Tanya, me, and Melody at the finish.  

Curried goat, rice and peas, coco bread.  Good, but a little pricey for a food truck!

OMG Homemade Breakfast Sandwich. Egg, bacon, 1/2 slice cheese, fresh cucumbers - yum!

5 comments:

  1. Your nails totally ROCK! I wish I could get mine to look that good!

    I'm really impressed with your triathlons--those are SO hard! I look forward to reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the nails! That cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck at the tri tomorrow!! I was going to do one on Sunday, but I never registered and now a friend is coming into town so I guess I won't. I'll have to find one. Can't let you get too far ahead :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're company sounds really great. It's nice that they have a focus on health. Good job with your improvements. That must feel so satisfying compared to last year.

    Love the bike matching nails. Too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Great improvements! I agree about your workplace, they seem to be very health aware. Love the pictures and I'm excited to hear about this new tri. :)

    ReplyDelete