Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Comparison

The time between New Year's Day and my birthday (this Friday) are often spent reevaluating my life over the past year.  Which eventually evolves into being all depressed because I'm not XYZ.

At the beginning of every year, we have auditors come into our work and do their thang.  I parked by one of them today.  He looked to be of a similar age, but his car was much, much nicer.  (and mine is a POS...I spent an exorbitant amount of money last month to have something fixed and it is having the same issues this month...argh!  Anyway, I was telling this to my "work dad" today.  He said (in a very nice way)  ""Don't compare yourself to them!  Auditors have the world's most boring job!  Would you like me to take you to commitment hearings (mental health commitments) or the prosecutor's office?  You would feel like your life is the best thing ever if you compared yourself to those people."

Dude.  I feel like an asshat.  It's so true, but it is such a easy mindset to slip into.

I saw a quote once at the YMCA that was very similar to the heart of this post.  I want to say it was one of the founding father's of the US that said this, but I can't remember who and I can't remember exactly what the quote was, so here is my best shot:

 If you compare yourself to others, you are inviting unhappiness into your life. 


I'm going to spend this year focusing on what is best for me.  I will only be inspired by other's successes, not envious of them. And I will be thankful for the many, many blessings I have.


I'm still figuring me out.  That seems so silly to say.  What makes me happy, what I should be doing to make me happy, finding a good balance between saving for the future and living in the moment :)



I had a NSV on Tuesday.  I donated blood!  I tried to donate a couple of months ago, and my iron was too low.  I vowed to get my iron up this time!  The mobile blood units kind of freak me out because they shake when people walk inside.  So I get a little queasy when filling out my paperwork.  I got my finger pricked for the little blood draw and my iron was 13.7!!!  The cut off is 12.  Last time I had 11 in one hand and 10.5 in the other.  I did a good job of eating things like spinach and salmon the day before, as well as take an iron supplement that tasted like I was drinking penny water.   It felt great that my health was good so I could donate.

I got nervous because I have deep veins and it can take a time or two for the nurse to get it.  Luckily, I had a no nonsense nurse who found a vein, got a co-worker to double check, and did it painlessly and in the first try.  I filled the bag pretty quickly...less than 5 mins!

I was so excited that I could donate blood.  If I were in need of blood, I would want it to be supplied to me, so why not supply it to others when I can.  Made me feel good.  And I got to eat cookies afterward.  :)


I figured I would get a jump start on workouts this month and take a bit to write down my planned workouts for this month.  So I did that on Monday.  And then, I skipped my Monday workout.  And I skipped my Tuesday workout.  I had an AM swim written down for today, which I also skipped.  Lord almighty, this might not be the right strategy!

I think a good strategy will be to be prepared to work out.  I have a post coming on that later this weekend.  Today I took my swim bag to work so I wouldn't have to go home first and could go straight to the Y and also chose whatever Y I wanted, as there are at least 4 in 20 minutes of my work. 

Swimming kicked my butt.  I had to take my 3300yd workout down to 2200 yds and I still wanted to stop before that.  That will teach me not to skip swims...last one was oh...before Christmas...yikes!

On tap for my bday:  Morning swim, work, lunch with my work dad, skip out early for free hot yoga, and then hopefully some Mexican and some cookie cake.  Yum!

How do you prevent yourself from letting comparison bring you down?

Anything I should add to my fun birthday line up? Sexy men is always the right answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment